Thursday, May 28, 2009

Introduction

The purpose of this blog will be to share tips, trick and techniques for improving your photography. I will post random thoughts here, at irregular intervals, as subjects occur to me or questions are asked. Why should you listen to me? Great question. Let me tell you a bit about my background.

I have been photographing nature, wildlife and landscapes for many more years than I care to admit. For as long as I can remember I have been intrigued by the interplay of light and shadow, color and contrast, the texture of a leaf or the ever changing forms contained in a flowing stream. In my teen years this interest lead me to photography. I believe that while most people look at the world, a photographer sees the world around him. And sometimes (when the planets align and you hold your tongue just right) the photographer will record a glimpse of real beauty that might have been otherwise hidden and lost forever.

Living in the American Southwest affords me opportunities most photographers only dream of. For most people, visiting here is a two week vacation. I have the privilege to live here year around, surrounded by some of the most awe inspiring scenery, magnificent wildlife, and colorful flora in all of creation. These are opportunities I am attempting to exploit and enjoy to the fullest.

For me, seeing the photograph is only the beginning of the creative process. A photograph should represent a moment in time, capturing it and containing it completely. I use traditional and alternative photographic techniques as well as digital treatment to create a complete image.

So does all of this mean you should listen to what I have to say? Well, I'll leave that up to your judgement. If you find them to be a bunch of tripe, then you may listen to which ever professor, teacher or guru you choose. However, if you read the tips written here and find some of them useful, then I am pleased. One of the great possibilities of the web is it's ability to connect kindred spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment